Join us at our brand new blog - Blue Country Gazette - created for those who think "BLUE." Go to www.bluecountrygazette.blogspot.com

YOUR SOURCE FOR TRUTH

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Columnist responds to retired teacher's letter

(Editor's note: Here is the original letter from Ruth posted Feb. 24 on the Gazette Blog. Noble Collins' response follows.)

To my beloved Rim Country:
As I write this letter, I am torn between the children and my own personal well being.

I taught school in California for 16 years before moving to Payson.

I was disabled from a car accident when my car was struck by a man who was intoxicated.

Even though I had insurance and the man didn't, the insurance money ran out very quickly with my multi million dollar medical bills.

When my common law husband was still alive we lived on his social security and my meager ($13,000) social security amount per year.

Since he died I now only receive my amount.

He left this home to me and a small amount of stock that fell through the floor during the recent bank failures and stock market crash.

Even though this small house is paid for I have just barely been able to pay the property tax and home owners insurance.

I do not smoke, drink or do drugs nor can I even afford to buy meat and I am losing weight.

It broke my heart but I had to find homes for my cat and dog because I could no longer afford to buy food for them.

I can no longer afford to go to the doctor on Medicare because the doctor will no longer see me for the 80 percent that Medicare only pays, as I do not have the money to pay the doctor (the 20 percent that Medicare does not pay) nor do I have the money to buy secondary health insurance.

There was no cost of living increase for Medicare in 2009 yet the utilities companies and other bills went up double digits. And our government says there is no inflation.

This country is at war and no one can foresee what could happen during the next seven years. No one could have foreseen that the stock my man left me would become "junk bonds."

Of course everyone at church is optimistic and we are all going to be raptured off the earth before anything much worse happens anyway.

Well that may be good thinking for the young who are able to work.

But for me I don't know how I am going to make it. This last year my property taxes dropped and that allowed me to pay the co-pays for my medications that I had been rationing.

When I go to church (one of the largest in Payson) with many, many school employees going there, I just wish that I could go without hearing all the talk about how everyone needs to vote yes so the children can have the best of everything.

It is very hard to worship my Lord when the majority of people at church are so adamant about how the children just have to have this.

Why does this initiative "school override" (property tax increase) have to include those of us whose incomes are at or below the U.S. poverty level?

Try living on 13K a year!

I know five other women on my street who are in the same situation and we are all very proud Americans.

I just want others in our shoes to not feel guilty by voting no.

Only a few true friends know my middle name.

Ruth

Open Letter to Ruth - retired California school teacher

Dear “Ruth,”

I was touched by your letter explaining that through no fault of your own, life has been rather less than abundant lately. You are required to live on a pauper’s wage when all around you people are clamoring for more and more.

You indicated that you voted “No” on the question of a school over- ride, because you simply can’t afford the $10 per year property tax increase to fund it. My guess is that there are many who could tell stories of equal dismay and fear, but may not have your education or “spunk” in dealing with the situation. Every story should be respected for its own viewpoint.

I want you to know, I care.

Since you apparently have access to the Internet, please contact me at noblefc@hotmail.com. (Others, please refrain from contacting me until I can get organized enough to respond to you.)

If you will give me your permission, I would like to use your story as a test case to find out just what is available to disadvantaged individuals, and how important benefits. might be attained.. I’m told there are many agencies which can provide assistance of one sort or another, but no ONE central application or disbursal point. I believe that is a bad way of helping people.

What I have in mind is establishing a “Clearing House” for aid to many folks who seem to “fall through the cracks” at present. A One-Stop Shop for assistance, complete with legal aid, financial aid, real goods, such as food, clothing and furniture. Job referral, skills training, lifestyle counseling, medical aid, family contact, etc. etc.

You contact us, and we establish a “Best Case Scenario.” for you, screening all the available resources, and staying with your case until all that can be expected is resolved. Even then, we would hope to continue to monitor the situation along the way. It won’t answer every problem, especially many medical issues, due to their huge costs, but perhaps there are more ways than one to “skin a cat.” as we used to say.

Federal State and Local governments all offer assistance in one form or another. Charitable organizations such as churches and non-profit groups also offer goods, services, counseling, and there are private individuals who offer anonymous help. There is no stigma in seeking help, especially these days.. Anyone who needs help should seek it as best they can.

Let’s get together and see what we can accomplish.

Noble Collins

2 comments:

Cowboytoo said...

Sadly, this letter has been determined to be a hoax. WHY anyone would go to such lengths is a question we can't answer.

The offer of help still goes for any legitimate person in need.

Noble Collins

Anonymous said...

They go to those lengths because kind-hearted people respond to hard luck stories. Or they do until they've been conned a few times, then legitimate needs go unmet because the scammers make the kind-hearted people think twice about helping what may be another crook.