Robert Reich. (photo: Perian Flaherty)
06 February 16
en things you should know about Marco Rubio:
- He says everyone should own a gun to protect themselves from criminals and terrorists, and would shut down "any place where radicals are being inspired."
- He denies human beings are responsible for climate change.
- His tax plan gives the top 1 percent over $200,000 in tax cuts per year, and would completely eliminate taxes on capital gains. That’s more than Jeb Bush’s proposed tax cuts for the rich, and about on par with Donald Trump’s.
- He wants to freeze federal spending at 2008 levels for everything except defense.
- He wants a permanent U.S. presence in Iraq, and would end the nuclear deal with Iran.
- He wants to repeal Obamacare.
- We have no way to know where he is on immigration because he’s flip-flopped -- first working on legislation to regularize citizenship for undocumented immigrants, and now firmly anti-legalization.
- He’s fibbed about his personal history – saying his parents were Cuban exiles although they left Cuba before the revolution.
- He’s been careless with official money. When serving in the Florida House he charged personal expenses (including a $130 haircut) to a Republican Party credit card intended for official use.
- And although elected to the Senate as a Tea Party favorite, he’s now the establishment’s favorite Republican. Among his top donors are Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Wells Fargo, and hedge-fund billionaire Paul Singer – along with Koch Industries.
What do you think?